Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Back in the Saddle Again! And I have a Winner!

Have you ever had one of those weeks where everything seems to be going along and then poof! it all goes south? I had joined the Giving Thanks Quilters Blog Hop Party hosted by Michelle of Quilting Gallery. Things were going wonderfully, I had a wonderful list of comments, I gained 11 new followers (thanks a ton guys! It means a lot to me!) I was looking forward to Thanksgiving with the kids and grands, everything was fine.  So I thought.  I have tried not to be Whiny with a capital W, but in the last 2 months my very reliable internet has been very sketchy.  It started off the days before I was heading to the Utah Quilt Guild Quilt Fest the second week in October.  It showed that I had a connection, but wouldn't load pages.  After several days the ISP techs decided it had to do with the tower up Manti Canyon where my signal is generated.  Since then I have had trouble weekly.  Every time it was blamed on the tower issues.  Then it snowed up the mountain and the techs had to use snowmobiles to reach the tower.  Either the signal was so weak that I couldn't get a page to load or the internet was down for a day.  My internet was down for 3 days in a row in late October.  It has gotten to the point that I keep my fingers crossed after the internet has been working smoothly for 3 or 4 days, just waiting for problems.  Every week in November, same thing, can't load pages, or completely out.  Most of the time it would be back up within 24 hours.  Not last week. 

I thought that I was past the finger crossing.  Tuesday I was responding to the last comments on the blog hop post, photographed 10 new listings for my Etsy shop to be ready to activate in time for Black Friday.  I had gone to Karen's for some coffee and knitting that morning.  
Koa, Karen's beautiful puppy dog
I decided to head to Curves since I was trying to be consistent with my workouts and would work on my listings when I got home.  I got home and the internet was down.  Sure enough, more tower issues.  I called again on Wednesday after cleaning and setting up the guest rooms for kids.  More bad news.  The internet would be down until Friday or Saturday.  I was not amused.  In reality, it did not come back up until yesterday afternoon, sometime after I had gone to the city library to check email.  I had tried to call them on Saturday, got stuck in a holding loop and then tried again about 3pm and was able to leave a message. Although their office is open until 2 pm on Saturdays (which you do not find out until after they close and you get the voicemail option) no one returned my call.

That was just the internet issues.  My son had been sick on Wednesday and did not come down with his wife and the boys.  We did have a lovely Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday.  On Friday we missed skyping with my daughter who lives in England.  We were able to speak with her on the phone, but the whole point of skyping with her is so that she could see everyone and we could see her and it would almost make it feel like she was there. And since we had no internet, no skype either.  We went to Manti City to see the light parade and then had pizza at home to have a family birthday party for my 4 year old grandson.  Saturday early in the morning my Son-in-law, my husband and I all were sick with a stomach flu.  They were all scheduled to leave that afternoon, but left by 11am.  SIL was feeling well enough to make the 2 hour drive home.  My husband and I spent time napping or reading.  It would have been a perfect time to bum around the internet.

Ready for the sunset!


Sunday we felt better but were still trying to go easy on food.  Lots of tea and toast.  We put the house back together and I went down to McDonald's to check email using their free wifi and send out a few messages. And since it is a unsecure connection, I chose not to try and get my online banking caught up or do any online shopping (Knit Picks was having an awesome yarn sale that I had meant to shop on Tuesday evening)

Isn't it funny how much we rely on the internet?  I felt lost.  I live in a small town and use the internet as my link to the outside world.  I try not to whine a lot in my blog posts, so this should last me for a while!  I was unable to do my usual Design Wall Monday post this week, or do an Off the Wall Friday post last week. And I was not able to draw a winner for my giveaway which I was scheduled to do on the 27th.

Thanks again to everyone that visited my blog for the blog hop! I tried to respond to all comments, but I am sure that I missed a few, especially the last 2 days of the drawing.  I did draw a name yesterday afternoon.
Karen wrote: Apple!  I am not a fan of pumpkin pie!  So the tote kit will go out in the mail to her today! Thanks everyone for stopping by!  I hope that everyone had a wonderful holiday!


3 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling better and I hope your internet stays up! I know I missed you being online!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how frustrating, but good to hear all is on the road to health again. Congrats to Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is is super frustrating. Lets hope your Internet will be staying up now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear what you think about my post!