Friday, February 6, 2015

Getting back into the groove!


I had a wonderful 2 weeks in California! Saw a lot of good friends, went to a retreat, taught a class and sewed like crazy! I had brought along a bunch of batiks in purples and yellows. I had a theory about doing a QAYG without sashing strips between the blocks.

2 panels
I pieced strips and then quilted them to the batting and backing. I made 3 panels. I let fabric hang over the top and bottom edges for sewing the sections together.

2 quilted 1 not

I then quilted each of the panels. When I tried to sew two of them together I discovered that I have a few issues that I need to get worked out. I may just finish off each panel separately.  It is now on my design wall curing.

Vintage Fiber Art
I stopped by and visited my Mother-in-Law on my way home. This piece of fiber art has been in her home since I first met her in 1979. I was always intrigued with it. It is made with layers of felt on a burlap base. It has some rug hooked loops and also some embroidery stitching. It depicts San Francisco.

Close up of rug hooking

Close up of felt layers
Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I couldn't find a signature on it.

This is my Off the Wall post for this week.



3 comments:

  1. Love your QAYG piece. If you do it in two panels, may I suggest exploring a way to link them with tabs and/or washers?

    As for your MIL's piece...I confess, I've never seen anything like it. Looks like a signature -- "Linda" -- in the rug-hooking at the top?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great colours in your QAYG piece. I'll be very interested to see how you resolve your joining issues - though two panels would look pretty good I think.

    Your mother-in-law's piece is fascinating - I have never seen anything like it before though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear what you think about my post!