Monday, November 9, 2020

First Snow

It has been a crazy week.  So focused on the news that I didn't get much done until Sunday.  And Score! I finally got the wedding quilt basted. We had moved to a smaller home several years ago. Downsizing has been difficult, I am still working on that issue. One thing I miss most about the previous house was the large peninsula kitchen counter.  I used it to baste quilts. It was a good height, easy on my back.  In this house I have little counter space.  We also have a much smaller dining table and now it is an oval. I have used my white plastic folding table, but it is narrow and tricky to baste a large quilt. 


Basting on the bed
So my solution has been to put the cardboard cutting mat on my bed and baste on there. Not ideal. I don't have floor space to try that, so the bed it is. It is hard on my back. And I can kneel for the edges.

Adding the top
Instead of starting in the middle and working out I start on one side and work my way towards the other side.

The other side
And then I finish off the bottom of the quilt since it is longer than the cutting board.  Pretty much my procedure is to smooth the back, smooth the batting over it, smooth the top. Pin the area on the cardboard. Shift the pinned area off the edge of the bed. Peel back the batting and top. Smooth the backing, smooth the batting over it and then smooth the top. For the most part I get a good baste. It works well for an edge to edge quilting design. 

I hope to get the quilting done this week. I would really like to get this in the mail to the happy couple by Thanksgiving. 

Last week I had someone ask if I had knit anything with my handspun yarn. I knit a hat. It was supposed to be for me and I found I was running out of yarn. So I raveled it and knit it smaller as a gift for my granddaughter.  Note the hokey, no model available photograph below. Link to rav project page Dalki .

Dalki


 

And here is my pretty photograph for the post, snow this morning!



Snow in Kanab


Linking to:

Beth

Judy

Jen

Nina-Marie

Sarah

 

3 comments:

  1. I do feel your struggle with basting and back pain. I used to baste on the floor but that's way out of the question with bad knees. I do have a large dining table which helps but it's still too low. Have to baste in episodes. Thank you for the pretty photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you thought about asking a long arm quilter to baste your quilt for you, Sylvia? My back hurts just reading about your current process of using the bed. There’s another method I’ve seen a video tutorial for where you use 2 x 4 boards or something but I can’t remember whose video it was or where I saw it. Susan Schamber, maybe?? I hope you find a better solution that’s easier on your body. Your quilt is gorgeous and I love the hat, too.

    ReplyDelete

  3. what a wonderful gift that quilt will be!! Gorgeous hat from your handspun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear what you think about my post!