Friday, February 22, 2019

Easily Distracted!

One of the reasons that we chose Kanab is that they rarely get much snow in the winter. Since we have been here that has not been the case. We have had snow every year. And not just a dusting. The storms that have dumped snow on Las Vegas this week and really hit us hard. We are about 3 hours away from Vegas. I am ready for spring!

Monday's storm
 On Monday we got a good 6 inches of snow. I am glad I did not have anywhere to go and could just stay home.
Thursday's snow
 So the next storm rolled through late Wednesday night and all day Thursday. Another 8 inches  of heavy wet snow. I would be thrilled if I had access to my snow dyeing equipment, but it is tucked away in storage in the back of sweetie's shop. And he is visiting his brother in Tennessee, so no help getting it out. And yes, Utah has had a serious drought for the last few years and really needs the snowpack. But I wish it would stay up in the mountains.

13 Memories
I decided to try Sock Madness again this year. It is a knitting competition and last year I was just short in the qualifying round. This is the warmup pattern. I am loving it! So fun to knit!  I love the scrappy feel! Reminds me of scrap quilts.


Sample blocks
Last post I talked about joining in Emily's Medallion QAL. I knew just the thing, I had some 12 inch blocks that were samples from a class and thought they would be perfect to set together for the 24" start of the medallion. Oops. There are only 3 blocks and I only have a strip and a partial of the background. I used that same background in my daughter's wedding quilt and am pretty sure it is used up.

Starry, Starry Night
I had 3 sizes available in the class pattern. This is the medium size and the finished quilt sample for the class.
Close-up of the fabrics

Sewing together the scraps
I must have been organized with that class box, I had all the scraps from the sample quilt in the class box. I loved the look of the colors and started sewing them together all improv like.  Instead of focusing on another plan for the 24" medallion center. I am almost finished with the scraps. Maybe I can get caught up on the QAL before the next round comes out.


Small size

This the small size of the block pattern. I use these to demo the blocks in class. I love these quarter blocks, you can rotate them ala log cabins and make a lot of different designs instead of just the stars.


Linking to:

Nicole

Beth

Judy

Emily

Alycia

Nina-Marie

Sarah

Myrna


4 comments:

  1. What lovely blocks!! They are going to make a stunning quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Blocks - and yay for staying in when its snowing! Thanks for linking up to tgiffriday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are really beautiful blocks, especially with the aqua background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I love knitting socks, I checked out the Sock Madness 2019 at Ravelry. I doubt I could keep up but it sounds like loads of fun! Your warm-up socks are scrappy-rific!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear what you think about my post!