Monday, December 14, 2020

One of these Days

 As everyone has probably experienced, it has been one of those years.  Sigh.  I did finally get all of the machine quilting completed on the wedding quilt.  It was hard.  I did switch out my chair for a stool and that helped a lot on my shoulders and back. I think I will use the stool from now when I sew. The quilting is not as nice as I had hoped, but hopefully when I wash it the funky stuff will calm down. My very first machine quilting class back in the late 1990's, the teacher said when you wash a machine quilted quilt it is Magic! And it is truth. It fluffs it up and closes all the needle holes. 



All Quilted and trimmed!
And since absolutely nothing can be easy (well, at least not with this project)  I found pleats on the back of the quilt. Another sigh.

Can you see it?

And here?
It is smack dab in the middle of the quilt.  I would have to take all of the quilting out and start over. Umm, nah, not going to happen. The paisley on the back is quite busy. I think that I will try to applique the fold down. I will wait until after it is washed. I think it will be ok. It is the back. It is not a prize winner, it is meant to be used.

Binding, ready to tack down.
I decided not to spiral the binding. The stripe is in the borders straight, so I chose to continue that at the edge.

Matching Pillowcases
I had a lot of fabric left so I made a set of matching pillowcases to go with the quilt. Everything went right with the pillowcases! Well, except the bobbin running out. 

Lavender Fields 
I plied this wonderful yarn! I did a chain ply trying it out on a multi color dyed fiber. I still need to wind it off the bobbin and process the twist.  I am very happy with this yarn.

Hat for me!
And I knit a hat for me!   I was following a pattern and it was not that easy to read the color changes. So I made up my own color changes!

MKAL
I started an Advent Mystery Knit along in Instagram. I am not very Insta savvy, so it is good that they are emailing the links to the daily clues. This is through clue 4. I am a bit behind. I cast on the wrong number of stitches and realized it at clue #2. 64 stitches on 4 needles is 18 on each right? No, wrong! 16 on each. I have made this mistake before. 



Thanksgiving sunrise
And my pretty photograph for the post. I was watching the sunrise and this is what happened just as the sun was hitting the horizon. 



Linking to:




4 comments:

  1. So sad about the tucks on the back I have done that too and there they stay one time I I quilted an odd square of fabric on the back because I didn’t clear everything off the table stuff happens
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sylvia, I would be surprised if the tucks will show up after washing. With all of those great paisleys, they have to fight pretty hard to be noticed :-) If you feel like it, please consider linking up to Free Motion Mavericks. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Sylvia -- your quilt is so beautiful!! I wish you had shown us close-ups of your favorite section of the piecing or the area where you're proudest of the quilting. Not one single person has made a perfect quilt, ever -- there's no such thing. God doesn't like perfect; I learned that in a pattern alterations class some years ago when the instructor had us take a full set of body measurements, BOTH sides of the body, and we all found out that we had one shoulder higher than the other, one arm a bit shorter, one hip lower than the other one, etc. And don't get me started about a room full of 50 women discovering that their full bust point is totally different from the right boob to the left... :-). Perfection is overrated. I love your quilt, love your hat, and hope that you can forgive yourself for those pleats and appreciate all of the things you did right with this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about the tucks! I think washing and tacking it down is the perfect solution. Its a beautiful quilt and will be well loved. Thanks for linking up to TGIFF

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear what you think about my post!