Friday, May 28, 2021

Heading into Summer

I finally feel like my quilting mojo is back. I am sitting at the machine most days.  It has been a struggle most of the pandemic to get enthused about sewing, but now I am looking forward to my time at the machine.


A UFO

I have a lot of UFO's.  When I was teaching at a shop, I would have a class sample, sometimes quilted, sometimes not. And then I would have an in progress sample that eventually turned into another UFO.  I also tend to use the leftovers of a project to make a smaller top. The UFO above is one of these. I took a class with a friend that was a race. You worked as a team and would end up with two quilts. Each using your own fabrics.  Anyway, this is the leftovers of that project. Yeah, the original class project is also a UFO.  I am not sure what year we took this class, maybe 5 or 6 years ago.


Finished!
I have 3 children, two girls and then a boy. The eldest girl got a High School graduation quilt that was from the Go Wild With Quilts book. The HS mascot is an eagle. So made the eagle wall hanging and it was hand quilted. She tells me now that she got the finished quilt when she graduated college. EH, I am not sure on that one, I remember entering it in shows and I believe it was finished before her younger sister graduated high school 3 years later. So daughter #2 got a HS graduation quilt as well. This time I bought a top from a friend that was the dolphin lap quilt in that same book (this is my swimmer girl). I hired out the quilting, but I did quilt around the dolphins.  There was some eagle fabric on the back. Son graduated HS the year after #2. He got squat.  It is like the baby book syndrome. First child it is filled completely. Second has hit or miss info in it. Third the book is still in the shrink wrap. 

Now mind you when I first started quilting in the early 90's son got the very first twin quilt, handquilted. They all have a lot of quilts now. And all their children as well.

Son has been giving me crap (well deserved) about not getting a HS grad quilt. It is all in good fun. This year he made the effort to finish his college degree. Over the years he had been going off and on to school, has two associate degrees but has always wanted to finish a full degree. A few years ago he was really making a push. He got to the last 3 classes and they were only offered in person and the University he was attending was too far to drive taking into account working fulltime, new house, new baby, etc. So it went back on hold. When the pandemic hit those classes became available online. He finished and graduated last week!  

When it became apparent that he would be finishing his degree I decided it was time for his High School graduation quilt to get done.  A couple of years ago I had bought some eagle fabric for a backing. I went through the UFO pile looking for something that would look good for a grad quilt. This guy fit the ticket. And it is only 21 years too late!  


Blooming cactus
And for my pretty photograph of the post, my cactus garden is starting to bloom.  I don't know the name of this one, but I love the bright color!


Linking to:

Judy

Beth

Michelle

Kathleen

Sarah

Nina-Marie
 

5 comments:

  1. Your post cracked me up in the most delightful way. Our son also took, what I affectionally refer to as, the scenic route through college. I made quilts for both children when they were in primary school. Never bothered with gifting them with quilts during pivotal moments in life. However, all 5 grandchildren received a quilt from me either at their baby showers or at birth if no there was no shower.

    I'm in love with your class project from years back. The sense of depth is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol better late than never; so glad to hear your son got his HS quilt. What a delightful post. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that story! LOL! I've only two children...and while we did try to give both kids equal time in the photo album department, my daughter-the-photographer will tell you that photographing boys as they grow -- including the goofy "size of head hasn't caught up to ears" stage -- can be a challenge! ;-)

    My kids each got "Magic Tiles" throw quilts in their teens (not related to high school grad) and quilts when they married. My son got at least one other one in there somewhere (when he left home for college), and my daughter got one for her first home too. She's just turned 40 and *asked* for one for that -- so I obliged! She now commissions me to make quilts for her Air BnB, and for friends with special anniversaries. She's fond of clean and contemporary lines -- that class project is right up her street! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the pandemic had a bonus for your son - among the so many non-bonuses. Lovely finish and very pleased that the teasing can stop (I come from a house of men ... 4 brothers, son, and husband) and know they can be relentless, but loving. Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your finish Sylvia. I'm glad that your son finished his degree and is finally getting his HS quilt! Those flowers are amazing! Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear what you think about my post!