I have been on a finished UFO binge. Well, it ground to a halt. I enthusiastically was quilting on this little Trip Around the World quilt when my stitches started to mess up. Picked out the line of stitching and tried again. Ugh! Then my eagle-eyed spouse spotted these two other skips and I throw the quilt in the corner so it could think about its bad behavior. (I know, the quilt was innocent, but it made me feel better)
So a couple of days later I decided to get back to work on my Utah Rainbow quilt that I had designed in December. When we got back from our trip there was a stay put in place and the piece was no longer current. I was at a loss whether I should finish the piece, revise it or what. I had some good advise from a fiber artist. Yet I still stewed about the piece. Last month at the local guild meeting a friend demo'd Trapunto and so it put this piece back in my mind. Originally I had intended to do "stuffed work" (as it was called by my first quilting mentor) putting the #18 in the center of a cutout of the shape of the state of Utah. Since it is possible another state could be the real #18 I decided to change my design. I got out the atlas to get the shape correct and drew on my rainbow fabric the outline of the state. Then I drew two bars to signify the equal sign that has become the symbol for the marriage equality movement.
I put the water soluble thread in the bobbin and stitched around the equal lines. I just left the thread that was already in the machine, brown, since it will come off when the piece is washed to dissolve the bobbin thread.
|Equal sign stitched|
I trimmed the batting just to the stitching.
|Stuffed work on the back|
|Outline of the state|
|Pinned, ready to stitch|
|Stitching down the applique to the background|
|Background cut away|
Now I want to add text to the top and the bottom of the piece. I planned to write "Utah #18 for 17 days" at the top and the dates underneath. I remembered that I had some TAP from a class that I took a couple of years ago. I went into word and then printed out my text on TAP. Shoot. I messed up, the text needs to be printed out mirror image. I wasted quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to mirror image the text. I am not very skilled at Word. I finally was able to figure it out later in the day with the help of my soon to be sister-in-law.
This is my off the wall post for this week. Check out Nina-Marie's blog to see what everyone else is up to!