Thursday, February 1, 2018

I sewed Today

I had taken a bit of a break from my blog. My daughter and her husband were visiting over Christmas and then right after we took off with the dogs and went camping in Quartzsite. I had hoped to blog a bit from there, but had internet issues. We got home middle of January and I started to sew daily. I was able to get the swap blocks on my design wall sewn together.
Swap blocks


I finished the top on January 21, 2018. I posted a photograph on my Facebook page and had a lot of wahoo's. It was later that evening I got a phone call that my Father had died suddenly.  Wow. I am still reeling from the news.  Dad had seen my post via a friend and had told her it was really cool.  My Dad had a lot of adventure in his life. He and my mother emigrated to the USA from Germany in 1956. They settled in Utah and had 3 children. They moved to the San Juan Islands in Washington State in the 80's and sailed for 10 years. Then they moved to St. George Utah. They traveled all over in a trailer and did the Snow Bird thing. In the mid 60's they had bought a lot at Bear Lake, which is on the border of Utah and Idaho. Dad built an A-Frame cabin. My siblings and I grew up there. Many fond memories. For long time, my parents would spend Spring and Fall in St. George, the Summer at the cabin and then travel to Arizona and Mexico for the Winter. We lost Mom in 2006.  We lost my older brother, Tom, in 2011.  And 12 days ago we lost Dad. 6 days short of his 86th birthday. My sister and I are left behind to pick up the pieces of our family. My Dad had a conversation with my husband the week before he died. He said that he had no regrets.  I can find comfort in that statement.  
Block One
A month or so ago I had joined the Sew Incredibly Crazy Block of the Month 2018 group on FB. The first block came out today. I sewed today. I had not turned on my machine since Dad died. Grief will do that to you. I am trying to find my way back to a routine. I sewed today. I hope I can sew tomorrow. Even if it just one seam.  Life moves on. I need to as well.


Linking to:

Kelly

JulieLou

Nicole

Judy

Beth

Emily

Beth

tweety

Myra

Amanda Jean

Leanne

Nina-Marie

Sarah

20 comments:

  1. Oh, Sylvia -- I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my dad last year when he was only 69 and it came out of nowhere, too, and reading your post brought a lot of memories flooding back to me. Sending hugs and prayers for comfort to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your sister. How wonderful that your father said he had no regrets. It sounds like he and your mom had a wonderful, adventurous life. May you find comfort in your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry about your loss. Your dad will always be with you and your sister. Living with no regrets is an amazing accomplishment...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss. It hits me because my Dad is 86, and I wonder how many days we have left with him. Your top is lovely, hoping it can bring you joy when it is done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for your loss. How nice that he could say he had no regrets, and that he got to see and comment on the last sewing post you made before his passing. The quilt top truly is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sylvia,
    {{{Hugs}}} a bunch for you. I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your dad. Even with your sister around you feel a bit like an island. At least I did. Just kind of floating around . . . nothing to really tether you. I hope you will find some comfort from sewing again soon. Maybe you can save some memories in a quilt in the future. It is so wonderful that you can know he had no regrets. {{Hugs}} again and prayers for you and your family. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for your loss! I cannot imagine the depth of your grief, but you and your sister will be in my prayers. I do understand "one seam". After a experiencing a deep hurt in November, I joined the #1stitchaday - sometimes that one stitch was all I could do....it took time...

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sending hugs. It is so difficult to lose our parents. I'm really happy for you that you sewed for February first. I hope you get a little sewn today, too. Let the catharsis help ease the pain and shock. {{{{Hugs}}}}

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to read of the loss of your beloved Dad. You and your sister will feel his loss deeply, I'm sure. But as you say, he and your Mum had amazing interesting lives together, and he had no regrets. Sending you cyber hugs from New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sudden death of a family member is quite a challenge to deal with. My thoughts are with you and your sister as you acclimate to life without your Dad. Be thankful for each seam that you are able to sew. When my Dad passed away, I didn't touch my machine for 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry and send my deepest sympathies. It's okay that you took some time away from your sewing. Taking time to grieve is necessary. Your swap blocks quilt is beautiful, and how neat that your Dad had seen it and liked it. Hugs to you today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you're sewing, it can be great therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry. Glad you had the good times right up to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry to read about your Dad, it does sounds as though you have lots of lovely memories of him and he was very proud of you. I love all the colour in your quilt, so nice to know your Dad loved it too. Thanks for joining Sew, Stitch, Snap, SHARE.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry Sorry Sorry to hear your dad has passed. One day at a time. One foot in front of the other. Breathe in - then Out - then just Repeat. Be kind to yourself - and sew just a little bit . . . then maybe a little bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am sorry for your loss too. That's especially hard when it wasn't expected. I have featured your quilt on Finished or Not Friday tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry to hear of your loss. I'm glad to know he had no regrets. Your block swap quilts is great looking. I find that when I am suffering from an event or suffer from anxiety and worrying about life- sewing keeps me sane and gets me through the difficult times. Hopefully your one stitch at a time will do the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sorry for you on the death of your father. It's hard to lose a parent but when you lose your remaining parent it can make your grief so much more difficult. As you might guess, I have also lost both my parents. My heart goes out to you in this difficult time. Your Mom and Dad and brother are together now in Heaven. They will look down at you and cheer your accomplishments and feel sorrow in your hard times. You still have your parents, they're just in a different place right now. When your life here ends you will go to the same place and be a family together again. You will grieve for as much time as it takes you. There's a lot of platitudes I could say, I just want to say that I hope you will find happiness and support from others while you pass through this part of your life.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear what you think about my post!