Friday, March 25, 2016

I never can say goodbye!


I have this problem, when I move, I can't quite leave behind the friendships I made! When we moved from Salt Lake to Sacramento in 2001, I still kept (well, really still keep) in contact with the wonderful women in Quilter's Holladay (sic, it is the name of an area, now city in Salt Lake County). It is is a wonderful local guild! I have made lifelong friends because I joined that group in 1995. When I knew I was going to be moving to the Sacramento area, I contacted the guild there. Didn't quite get the response I was looking for. They are a larger guild and I guess I was looking for a smaller, friendly guild. Anyway, one of the visits I made to see Sweetie (he had already moved, I was tying up loose ends in Utah) we drove around the countryside exploring. We stopped in Winters and got out to walk around.  Sweetie points to a building on Main Street, " quilt shop, gotta stop". We went in and I met Diane.  Everything good that happened to me in California is because I met Diane that day. I started teaching there after I joined Sweetie in California. And eventually worked at the shop as well. It was a wonderful time! I also met Carol via the guild that Diane pointed me towards and she invited me to join Cotton Club. It was a fun, small group. Diane eventually joined as well. About the time we moved back to Utah, they started doing a monthly block swap. Well, I had to keep in touch, so this was a good way to do it. They choose a simple pattern and you make a set of blocks each month to swap. And one for the "pot". I make all of my blocks for the year, mail them to Diane and she swaps them out for me. I have won the "pot" several times!

In progress
I had to pass on last year's swap, but when I saw the pattern for this year's blocks, I HAD to do it. Freeform cutting is always up my alley.  I am a bit behind, but as long as I get them done and to Diane by the end of the year, she can catch me up with the rest of the gang. And hopefully I can take trip to California in January to pick them up in person.
Last 4 batches
Finished block
You take a square, cut it in two, straight with a ruler, at angle or not (your choice). Add a strip of solid, then do the same crosswise. Leave the ends hanging, we all get to square up our blocks that we received in the swap.
Completed sets
We are to use black on white and white on black for every other month. I love the way these blocks come out! I can't wait to see what everyone else is doing! I have 7 sets done, done. Working on #8 and still have 4 more batches cut and ready to sew. I had hoped to finish these at the retreat last week, but spent to much time wandering around and chatting.
Joy's breakfast
Karen's breakfast
My breakfast!
Tuesday I went to breakfast with my knitting buddies at Das Cafe in Spring City. I wasn't in the mood for potatoes and eggs, so I had Nutella chocolate cake for breakfast instead!  It was good!

This is my off the wall post for this week. Also my Finish up Friday post.  I hope to finish up those swap blocks today!




5 comments:

  1. Nutella chocolate cake for breakfast sounds amazing! Your blocks are lovely, and sound like a great way to keep in touch with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those blocks using the B&W's..and solid strips...i thinkthey will look beautiful all together...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are blessed to have quilty friends in so many places! Love those swap blocks!

    Tami @ sewmuchforfreetime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great blocks! Looks like it would be fun to make them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear what you think about my post!