Friday, May 26, 2017

Home again. Now what do I do?

We are home after our long trip. 14 states, 11 new to me! And just under 5000 miles.Our main focus was to visit Sweetie's brother and wife in Middle Tennessee. We also went to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It was fabulous! I got to see the Mississippi River for the first time. It was a wonderful trip!

Last of the travel knits
While Sweetie is driving, I knit.Mostly simple dishrags. I can't count how I made on this trip, some were given away. I got bored of the brick pattern so popped off with a simple checkered design.

Winnings!
We had a family Kentucky Derby party! There were five of us and we each got 4 horses. Buy in was a dollar a horse. We chose one horse and drew for the other 3. I chose Always Dreaming because I like the name. At the time I chose it, the odds were 5 to 1. Found out later that it was the favorite and it won! So with my winnings of $20 I bought some sock yarn in a yarn shop somewhere in Kansas. I can't remember the town. It was the only craft type shop that we stopped at the entire trip. I plan on participating in the Tour de Sock this summer, a fund raiser for Doctors without Borders.

Fun Finds
We have a thrift shop in town that is run by the hospital auxiliary. I like to stop in every once in a while, you never know what you will find. Recent finds were a 3 yard cut of a blue batik for $6 and a yard cut of this gauzy red and yellow print for a buck. And then a yard of tulle for 25 cents.


How I pictured it
Being away from the studio for a month was hard. I had so many ideas on the road. Wish I had kept notes. I am trying to get back in the groove and so pulled out this project that has me stumped. I had this idea of a quilt as you go project and sewing the sections together without a sashing. Eh, it did not work. Above is the way I visualized it.

What Helen saw
I had it laid out on a bed at the hotel while I was at Quilt Fest last autumn. My roomie and good buddy Helen was there to advise me and she was looking at the piece from a different angle. I am torn between the two versions. At this point the only thing I am sure of is that it will be bound with a dark violet around each panel. Not sure whether to hook them together of keep them separate. I would love to hear your opinion on this piece. I have named it "Iris".

5 comments:

  1. I have a quilt as you go project planned too! No advice though, I've never done one. And I usually don't plan things out ahead of time! Ha! I love that you create while riding in the car - I do that too! Thanks for linking up with TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sylvia,
    It looks like you had a fun trip - 5,000 miles! WOW! You found some good bargains, and I love your $20 win. Hmm, I love the idea of dark purple around the sections. That will really make the colors pop. I think I like Helen's layout but whatever you decide will be perfect. ~smile~
    Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss my studio when I am gone too. I try to do handwork, but I find it hard to sew in the car. I am planning a retreat soon in Texas though. There I may be able to sit and see. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the trip sounds amazing! I am sure it will bring so much inspiration and energy! I look forward to see all your future projects and your knitted pieces are so interesting! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the name of your quilt. (I had an aunt named Iris Rose) Both layouts are nice and I like the idea of dark violet for sashing! Love your dishrags too!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear what you think about my post!