Friday, May 11, 2018

Sego Lily

I made a fiberart piece that I could not show until now.  It is for the Stretching Art and Traditions Challenge. Here are my in progress photographs.

Working on the petals 
 The piece needed to finish 18" x 36". The theme, Under Scrutiny, needed to be a very close-up of something. I used a photograph of a Sego Lily. Of course, I have not been able to find the original photograph so that I could post it.  I used a quilt as you go method that I just kind of made up. First onto the backing is a piece of batting. Next up is some petals.

Background
 It then tucked in some dark green pieces to form the background. I made sure to trim it close in shape so that it would not shadow through the white petals. I stitched down the edges, going through all layers.

Floral details
 I then fused stamens and the red of the petals. I also stitched those down through all layers.

Petals quilted
 I quilted the petals using my trusty walking foot. Just some simple echo quilting.

Detail stitching
I quilted the background with horizontal straight lines. It does not show up very well in the photographs. I also quilting some red lines to add detail to the red of the petals.
Sego Lily
Trimmed and bound, it went off to the coordinator in time to go to the first show!



BFL roving
 This was some quickly acquired roving bought so that I could try out the new spinning wheel.
Yarn!



On the right, the beginner's first day's worth of spinning. On the left is the beginner's second day (in a row) spinning! I am really enjoying the art of spinning!  Not sure that I will ever get to the point where I can spin lace weight yarn. But I think I have the hang of spinning fun, chunky, playful yarn!

We had three reasons to make the trip to Tennessee. One, visit family. Two, pick up the spinning wheel. And Three, attend our sister-in-law's graduation from the University of Alabama Huntsville! (yeah, that is 2 states. Their farm is in Tennessee and Huntsville is about an hour and a half drive away) I am so proud of Christine! She graduated Magna Cum Laude with a BA in English! As I told you last week, her short story won Best in Fiction in the English department. If you did not get a chance to read it, here is the link again. Very timely story, thanks for all the positive feedback. I have been reading your comments to her. Now that she is done with classes, she will be working on more of the stories in the series.

I am linking to:

Beth
Judy
Emily
Nina-Marie
Amanda Jean
Sarah
Myra
Summer






5 comments:

  1. Nice job on the art quilt. I think you met the goals perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to your SIL! Love seeing your wonderful efforts with the challenges. You are having great results with quilting with your walking foot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Sego Lilies. Your quilt is beautiful. Many of the ladies in my knit group spin their own yarn. Your first attempts look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely lily. I had not heard of sego lilies, and read up on them - the state flower of Utah. I didn't know that. Reminds me a little of trillium. Congratulations to your SIL - send us more of her stories - or where we can read more. Thanks for linking with Design Wall Monday, Judy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear what you think about my post!