Monday, November 16, 2020

Mid November

And we have lift off!  I started on the quilting!  I don't have a table that I can sink the machine into, so I have some hokey way and boosting the quilt next to the machine to keep it from pulling away from the needle. Not pretty, but it does the job. Sorta.

Machine all set up

Machine quilting
I wound 4 bobbins. I think this project will need 7 or 8 bobbins of thread. I am not quilting that close, so it will go quicker. I hope. 


Mini Mittens

Close up

 I have been knitting these tiny mittens. I usually give them away as gifts. They make perfect ornaments. I ran out of people to give them to, so decided to make a strand of them to use for a winter decoration. I use the leftover bits of sock yarn. They are fun to knit and cute!


Pretty Photograph

At our family cabin we have some flowers planted. Mostly columbine. Years ago my parents had planted Holly Hocks.  They took over and eventually my Dad tried to get rid of them. This summer there was one lone Holly Hock trying to get a foot hold in the rocks. I chose to let it grow. It came late in the season, so this was the only blossom on the plant. I hope it tries to come back next year. I have always loved the Holly Hocks. But I will be careful not to let them spread.




Linking to:

Sarah

Nina-Marie

TGIFF

Beth

Judy

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post. I've quilted on a domestic machine that doesn't sink into a table for a lot of years. A couple tips...it looks like you have some kind of a covering on the table beneath your machine's table. Make sure that's something slick. I covered my table with oilcloth. That helps the quilt slide. In the past, I've not needed to cover the machine's table, but I got a new machine and for whatever reason, that machine's table was not as slick as the other tables I've used. I bought a piece of Teflon oven liner. I put a hole for the needle and affixed that over my machine table to make the quilt slide. In my setup the quilt slides better from the back so I work from the back to the front advancing the quilt from the back of the machine to the front. I only do stippling...but I am decent at that. I was recently gifted a long arm so I'm now learning how to quilt that way. It's a whole new learning curve...but QUITE fun.

    I love your mittens. I'm a member of the Sew For Kids Volunteers Group on Facebook. As a group, we make and buy and gather things for the children of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, one of the poorest places on the planet. We are always eager to get mittens if you're ever again looking for a home for mittens. :)

    I loved your story about the hollyhocks. I have always loved hollyhocks. I think I would have left the hollyhock alone too. I think I have heard that they only bloom every second year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pattern link. Those mittens are darling!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute mittens. Whatever works to get the quilt through the machine and the job done is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its not "hokey" its "innonative" and "out of the box"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear what you think about my post!