Friday, November 16, 2018

Out with the old

I have finished some small quilts recently. It feels good to check them off the list. 


12 1/2" x 12 1/2"

This little guy came from Orphan night. It was a donated block, probably from a previously taught class on Amish Small quilts. We decided that it would be ok to quilt it and then donate it back to the guild for their Mini Quilt Raffle next year. I am pleased with the way the quilting turned out.


8-1/2" x 10-1/2"
At one of my local quilt groups we had a demo on mini quilts. This little guy came from that class. The nine-patch blocks are 2 inches.  It was a fun demo.

19" x 22


Back in the late 90's I used to attend Quilting in the Tetons. It was a wonderful event. Quilt show and classes. Since there were no evening activities, it was a good one to take your spouse along. I would be in class all day and he would go mountain biking and we would have evenings together. This piece was from a class by Shelly Burge. We drafted our own version and then the geese were paper pieced. I had all the geese sewn and several of the background pieces attached and then this got set aside. I brought this along to Quit Fest to work on. Didn't get to it, but then we went to the lake and I was able to finish the top. When we got home I quilted it.

13-1/2 " x 15"
13-1/2"x 25"


 After finishing the geese quilt, the only thing I had with me to work on at the lake were the scraps of the geese quilt. It turned into 2 more quilts! These were going to be one, then the pieces just did not want to be in the same quilt. All of the fabric was in the box with the original project. Another thing that really pleases me is that even though all of the fabrics came from the late 90's all three pieces still feel contemporary today. The colors still work and do not feel dated.

It was great to finish an old project, I will continue to clear out the old.

Linking to:

Nina-Marie

Myra

Sarah

Alycia

Beth

Judy

Emily

Beth

Nicole

Lorna




10 comments:

  1. I love your scrappy improv pieces from the flying geese scraps! I have trouble thinking outside the box. I am getting better, but it takes practice. Approximately, what size is the tall rectangular one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small quilts make for fast finishes! These all look great, but I really love the blue one. Such tiny 9-patches! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are all so great - but that res one with the flying geese - WOW!! That is so cool! Nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are to nice to be UFO's. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a nice variety of minis! I love improv and yours are speaking loudly to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sylvia! Oh, what fun littles you are sharing today. I really admire your work with such small pieces. I LOVE that red/pink/gray piece with all the flying geese! Oh man, it looks spectacular to me. It may be from an earlier era but it stands the test of time. I'm so glad you finished it!! Happy Monday to you! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you want some dated looking calicos let me know! I'm trying to use up a lot of small prints that I've gotten from estates or friends who are no longer quilting. It's hard to make some of this stuff look current. And, some, like yours above, look like they were manufactured just yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the flying geese quilt. They are all pretty but flying geese are always my favorite and draw my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that flying geese. It reminds me of a backwards 4. Wouldn't it be a great gift for someone turning 40? You'd just need to make a zero too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've got some great finishes to share with us. That flying geese is amazing! I'm tempted to try something like that. If you hadn't told us, I wouldn't have thought you were using older fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear what you think about my post!