|Making 9 patches|
|Cool Lion print|
|The quilt top|
A month or so ago I was in the small little quilt shop in town. I found a really cute flannel print with giraffes. I bought a yard. I figured it would be perfect for the backing and a yard x width of fabric is just the size for a newborn. Well, that piece of fabric sat around my sewing space since. I couldn't decide what to do with the front of the quilt. On Tuesday I had some errands to do and stopped at Kent's (the grocery store) and across the parking lot is the quilt shop. I headed in there, mainly for ideas. I am looking around the flannels and then I saw the lion print. Oh, that would be so cute! So I bought 3/4 yard of that one, another 3/4 yard of the giraffes and then a 3/4 yard cut of another cute giraffe print. I found a nice rusty brown for the binding and bought 1/2 yard. Ok. I am set.
Or am I? What do I do with these fabrics? Cut a bunch of 6 inch squares and toss them all together? Fussy cut the lions and the add logs of giraffes? Ok, how about my favorite the 9 patch. I calculated that if I cut binding strips 2" I would need 5 of them and then I would have enough of the binding fabric left to use in some of the blocks. I decided to make it the middle square. With the 2 giraffe fabrics as the corners and sides I make strip sets, cut, sew them back together and have 11 blocks. I could have had 12, but one of the fabrics (the binding) was a good 2-1/2" shorter than the others. I had decided to just cut the lions into 9-1/2" squares. The print would have been hard to fussy cut. But because I only had 3/4 of a yard (27") minus shrinkage and straightening the edge, I could only get 8 lion squares out of that piece of fabric.
I laid out the blocks and it just wasn't quite there. I decided I needed to add some more plain squares. I had enough of the second giraffe print to cut out four 9-1/2" squares. I played with the layout some more and put 3 of the giraffes in the center and all the lions to the outside alternated with the 9 patches. It is a bit off center, but if I tried to make it one row wider the backing would no longer fit. As it was, I used the last bit of lion sewn to the original yard of giraffes plus the extra of the 3/4 yard to make the backing large enough. Whew. Tomorrow I will pin baste and get it quilted, and work on the binding in the evening. Now hopefully my DIL doesn't go into labor before Sunday and I will be set.
I really liked the layout of the blocks, but I wanted to see how they would look with the extra row so I drew it up in EQ.
That is how I work. I sort of have an idea, buy some fabric or raid the stash, start cutting and sewing and then try to figure out the math. Usually I have to change plan because I don't have enough of something to make it work the way I thought it would go.
My Off the Wall post for this week, check out what everyone else is doing at Nina-Marie's blog.